[MINC-users] X11 forwarding for Display

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 08:11:20 EDT 2011

Hi Ali,

> I was having difficulty with X11 forwarding when trying to use Display
> from one mac machine
> to another mac machine. I can get xedit and xterm to work, but not
> Display.  I had noticed in the documentation for Display that it
> states that you can build "with X window system", which I assumed was
> X forwarding.  So, I built Display with the "--with-x" and
> "--with-minc2" options

This should all be fine.

> Here are my relevant settings:
> On my local mac machine:
> environmental variable DISPLAY is set to /tmp/launch-RuXg5G/org.x:0
> and X11forwarding is yes in my /etc/sshd_config file

My understanding is that DISPLAY on the local machine should still be

spencer:~$ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

But perhaps this is a linux vs OSX difference. In any case you
shouldn't have to modify the setting if ssh is working correctly.

> On my remote mac machine:
> environmental variable DISPLAY is localhost:10.0
> and X11forwarding is yes in my /etc/sshd_config file

Do you also have:

X11DisplayOffset 10

set?

> Display[24131] <Error>: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @
> CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.
> xp_init: error: not initialized
> error: invalid pixel format attribute
> Abort trap

I can't make much sense of this error, I take it you are running
ssh/Display from an X11 xterm window and not using the Mac "Terminal"
Application?