[MINC-users] bug in the mincmorph grouping option

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 23:59:45 EST 2010

Hi Pierre,

You are right, however I like to call this behaviour a "feature". :)

This happens because of the shape of the structuring element, in order
to gain a bit of speed and skip doing bounds checking while running
through a 5 deep for loop, I only run the structuring element (for
grouping/dilation/convolution) on the central chunk of the volume
which guarantees me to not get edge problems.

The simple fix is to first pad your volume before running the group.
the Pad option pads by 1/2 the size of the current structuring
element/kernel.

So instead of doing this:

   mincmorph -successive 'G' in.mnc out.mnc

do this:

   mincmorph -successive 'PG' in.mnc out.mnc

Hope this helps,

--
Andrew Janke
(a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)