[MINC-users] libppm.so.9 error

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 00:01:27 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 12:46, Alex Zijdenbos <alex at bic.mni.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> This is probably a naive question but I will ask it anyway: the
> 'normal' "apt-get install X" call will automagically draw in any
> packages prerequisite to X that are not already installed. Why does
> this not work with the minc deb packages? Ideally, John would not need
> to ask this question (which is definitely a FAQ) because his
> apt-get-ting would have selected libnetpbm by itself.

Hi Alex,

There are two answers to this one, the short one: "I am slack".  The
longer one: Initially the package building system I have been using is
supposed to be platform agnostic at least with respect to
debian/ubuntu. Problem is it wasn't and isn't. So I have had to
rethink how we do binary builds if only because the dependencies keep
changing names dependant on the target. And to make it more
interesting they change names between releases! What this has meant is
that I have stripped all the dependencies from the epm-headers (what I
build from) if only because it seemed better to me to have some
packages as opposed to none.

So, what to do.  From what I can see the only option is to build for
each architecture/release/distro which is what I have been doing, now
that I have all the base packages I plan to also release a
"mincbundle" package for each architecture that will handle all the
dependencies (That I am slowly building a list of via virtual
machines). The result is something like this:

   http://ajanke.selfip.com/minc-beta/mincbundle.deb

This is one for Ubuntu Hardy (It might work on other versions but I
would doubt it, perhaps debian lenny) and the goal is then that you
can install "all of minc" by just doing this:

   apt-get install mincbundle

Of course this will only work if I put this deb in the right directory
on packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca first. I will do this as soon as I have
done a bit more testing on this.