[MINC-users] minc volume size limit

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 10:19:15 EST 2007

On Nov 23, 2007 2:07 AM, Oliver Gress
<oliver.gress at medizin.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:
> I've got a question about the size limit of a minc volume. As I work with
> quite dense data, I sometimes ran into errors like the following, that seems
> to arise when I want to create a too large volume:
>
> Processing:.mincconcat: ncx.c:1716: ncx_put_size_t: Assertion `*ulp <=
> 4294967295U' failed.
> Aborted

Which version of mincconcat are you running?  And if it is MINC 2 is
the file netcdf or HDF?

One of the primary reasons for the shift to MINC2 (and thus HDF5) was
to get around the size limitations of netcdf. If you are using large
volumes be sure to either use '-2' when you originally create all your
data in MINC (and then it will flow on) or to be sure set this env
variable:

   export MINC_FORCE_V2=1

you can check on your file types using "file".

ie:

gordon:map$ file /tmp/foo/*.mnc
/tmp/foo/green.mnc:                   Hierarchical Data Format (version 5) data
/tmp/foo/out.mnc:                     NetCDF Data Format data
/tmp/foo/trans.mnc:                   NetCDF Data Format data

You can convert a netcdf MINC file to HDF very easily using the following:

   $ mincconvert -2 in.mnc out.mnc

--
Andrew Janke   (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883