[MINC-users] Mincextract to get voxel values and coordinates?

Paul Thompson thompson@loni.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 16 15:51:04 2004

--Apple-Mail-26--75548820

Hello Jason, Andrew, Dylan, and everyone, also here's another new paper
comparing skull-stripping methods, it also combines results of them all
using a statistical key (a nice idea, as there was not one algorithm
that was uniformly better than all others):
Rex DE, Shattuck DW, Woods RP, Narr KL, Luders E, Rehm K, Stolzner SE,
Rottenberg DA, Toga AW.
A meta-algorithm for brain extraction in MRI.
Neuroimage. 2004 Oct;23(2):625-37.
See you,
Paul
http://www.loni.ucla.edu/~thompson/thompson.html

On Nov 16, 2004, at 12:41 PM, Jason Lerch wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2004, at 2:09 PM, Dylan WAGNER wrote:
>>

>>       Also thank you for the location of mincbet. So now I'm
>> confronted
>> with three choices. Mincbet, skullstrip and the preprocessing method
>> on
>> on the wiki page for VBM. It's a bloody buffet of skullstripping
>> methods!
>> Any reason why one would be better? The method on the VBM seems more
>> tailored to each individual subject, though longer to carry out.
>
> The basic answer: they all suck. I think that the method on the VBM
> pages sucks least of the lot, but I know that others disagree. There
> has never been a study which compared all these methods, though this
> paper here might help (it does not compare our cortical_surface method
> that is described in the VBM pages):
>
> Boesen K, Rehm K, Schaper K, Stoltzner S, Woods R, Luders E,
> Rottenberg D.
> Quantitative comparison of four brain extraction algorithms.
> Neuroimage. 2004 Jul;22(3):1255-61.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jason
>
>>              Best,
>>                    DDW

--Apple-Mail-26--75548820

Hello Jason, Andrew, Dylan, and everyone, also here's another new
paper comparing skull-stripping methods, it also combines results of
them all using a statistical key (a nice idea, as there was not one
algorithm that was uniformly better than all others):

DE, Shattuck DW, Woods RP, Narr KL, Luders E, Rehm K, Stolzner SE,

A meta-algorithm for brain extraction in MRI.</bigger></bigger><x-tad-bigger>

Neuroimage. 2004 Oct;23(2):625-37. </x-tad-bigger></fontfamily>

See you,

Paul

http://www.loni.ucla.edu/~thompson/thompson.html

      Also thank you for the location of mincbet. So now I'm confronted

with three choices. Mincbet, skullstrip and the preprocessing method on

on the wiki page for VBM. It's a bloody buffet of skullstripping
methods!

Any reason why one would be better? The method on the VBM seems more

tailored to each individual subject, though longer to carry out.

</excerpt>

The basic answer: they all suck. I think that the method on the VBM
pages sucks least of the lot, but I know that others disagree. There
has never been a study which compared all these methods, though this
paper here might help (it does not compare our cortical_surface method
that is described in the VBM pages):

Boesen K, Rehm K, Schaper K, Stoltzner S, Woods R, Luders E,
Rottenberg D.

Quantitative comparison of four brain extraction algorithms.

Neuroimage. 2004 Jul;22(3):1255-61.

Cheers,

Jason

<excerpt>             Best,