[MINC-users] troubles with mincmakescalar

Peter Neelin Peter Neelin <peter.neelin@gmail.com>
Mon Nov 15 08:39:07 2004

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:34:59 -0500, Robert VINCENT
<bert@bic.mni.mcgill.ca> wrote:

> Thanks for the report.  I believe that you've found a limitation (bug) of
> the mincmakescalar program.  What you attempted appears to work only if
> the vector_dimension is the fastest-varying dimension in the file.

In the original definition of minc (I don't know if that has changed
now), only files having  vector_dimension as the fastest-varying
dimension are considered vector datasets (in other words, it is not a
bug, but rather by design). All of the generic tools handle files in
this way (or they did), particularly since voxel_loop treats files in
this manner. Some poorly behaved applications write out files in
reverse order, causing this confusion (volume_io tends to be fairly
liberal about dimension ordering which may help give rise to these
situations).

If the minc maintainers want to change this, then they should review
all of the tools in the core package, as well as the library, since
the assumption of adherence to this convention is quite widespread.

Peter