[MINC-users] Installing Register on Win XP

Andrew Janke rotor@cmr.uq.edu.au
Thu Jul 15 21:59:03 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Dylan WAGNER wrote:

>        It's quite buggy, mind the buttons because you can only click on
> them once and then they stay stuck forcing a relaunch of register should
> you need to click them again.

These versions are getting quite old however.

The approach I use to get the mni tools onto Windows is via cygwin.  Once you
have it installed and working (and OpenGL working via the links to the Windows
core openGL)  You should be able to download this statically built binary and
run register without running cygwin-X as it will use Windows native OpenGL.

http://www.cmr.uq.edu.au/~rotor/distro/register-cygwin-binary-2004-06-01.exe.gz

Let us know how you get on.

>        As for register on linux I find it incredibly slow, does anyone
> else have this problem? The windows and unix versions are much quicker.
> However in my case it could be that as I'm running linux in vmware and
> it's just not able to access the opengl support on my video card which I
> assume it uses to speed things up. Oddly Mri3dX runs smoothly on linux
> through vmware so who knows.

VMware only emulates a very basic video card with no OpenGL support (and no
pass-through to the underlying OpenGL calls within Windows).  Thus things will
be dog-slow as you will be running register via Mesa.  Why Mri3dx runs fast is
anyones guess, perhaps it doesn't use OpenGL and instead uses SDL or some other
method.

--
Andrew Janke  ( rotorATcmr.uq.edu.au || www.cmr.uq.edu.au/~rotor )
Australia->University of Queensland->Centre for Magnetic Resonance