[MINC-development] Building MINC for OS X 10.6

Burt Crépeault burt.crepeault at crulrg.ulaval.ca
Mon Mar 29 15:35:33 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm currently attempting a full build of all the latest MINC packages from
http://packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/tgz/ on OS X version 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

I've managed to get to a certain point but along the way I've accumulated a
number of questions that I'd like to naïvely ask here, in hope for answers
and perhaps that someone will see what problems may come to a first-timer.

General Questions

   - Is there a list of all the packages not included on
   http://packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/tgz/ and for which one or more of the
   MNI packages have dependencies? I'm thinking of stuff like ImageMagick, Coin
   and gsl.
   - In what order should one build the MNI packages, as some appear to
   depend on others?
   - I'd like to build everything in a "portable" installation, i.e. with
   all the libraries and includes and other stuff under a single location (e.g.
   ~/minc-2.0.18). So far, I've managed to use the --prefix and
   --with-build-path options to the configure command. Is there anything else I
   need to know? How would I configure the run-time shell environment with
   regards to $PATH, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc.?

Package-specific Questions

   - Display-1.4.2 and Register-1.3.6: what is the effect of using the
   --with-apple-opengl-framework instruction? Must it be used for compilation
   on OS X?
   - mincfft-1.1.1: does not appear to work with the latest fftw library
   (version 3.x) but was successful with 2.1.5
   - mni_perllib-0.08: I get the following error:
   - Makefile.PL: I don't grok the manifypods section, so can't tweak the
      pod2man args at Makefile.PL line 162.
      - Perl version is 5.10 on this Mac.
      - bicInventor-0.3.1: I can't get passed the message:
   - configure: error: cannot find required library GL
   - brain-view-0.7.0: Even though I installed Coin, I still get:
      - checking for Open Inventor (Coin)... no
      checking for Open Inventor (SGI)... no
      configure: error: No Open Inventor library detected.
      - I've tried the --with-coin=DIR with DIR set as many suspected
      locations for Coin but nothing worked

That's all for now, I might have more as I'm not quite done going through
the whole thing.

Thanks!

Burt.

P.S. When I'm done, if anyone is interested with a recent OS X build, let me
know.