[MINC-development] Building MINC for OS X 10.6

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 23:23:29 EDT 2010

> I'm currently attempting a full build of all the latest MINC packages from
> http://packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/tgz/ on OS X version 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

> Is there a list of all the packages not included on
> http://packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/tgz/ and for which one or more of the MNI
> packages have dependencies? I'm thinking of stuff like ImageMagick, Coin and
> gsl.

It depends on the platform (and keeps changing). Here is a list I use
for the Ubuntu Karmic though:

 netcdfg-dev libhdf5-serial-dev libnetpbm9-dev fftw-dev libgsl0-dev
libgetopt-tabular-perl libmni-perllib-perl libxext-dev glutg3-dev
libsoqt3-dev libxmu-dev libxi-dev imagemagick libtext-format-perl
libpcre++0 libpcre3 libsimage-dev libpcre++-dev

> In what order should one build the MNI packages, as some appear to depend on
> others?

There are only a few dependencies, if you do these in this order first:

minc
ebtks
bicpl

then all the rest should build with no problems

> I'd like to build everything in a "portable" installation, i.e. with all the
> libraries and includes and other stuff under a single location (e.g.
> ~/minc-2.0.18). So far, I've managed to use the --prefix and
> --with-build-path options to the configure command. Is there anything else I
> need to know?

Nope, sounds about right.

> How would I configure the run-time shell environment with
> regards to $PATH, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc.?

Well you will have to at least set $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to include
~/minc-2.0.18/lib and add ~minc-2.0.18/bin to $PATH. Be aware that
shifting things around may cause issues with libtool though (.la
files).

> Display-1.4.2 and Register-1.3.6: what is the effect of using the
> --with-apple-opengl-framework instruction? Must it be used for compilation
> on OS X?

It doesn't have to be but I would recommend it. Without it you will
have to install your own versions of GLUT and OpenGL. The flag uses
the system versions meaning that integration with OSX is better (you
can use Control-Q for example).

> mincfft-1.1.1: does not appear to work with the latest fftw library (version
> 3.x) but was successful with 2.1.5

I thought this had been ported by Jon Harlap but perhaps it was a
previous version.

> mni_perllib-0.08: I get the following error:
>
> Makefile.PL: I don't grok the manifypods section, so can't tweak the pod2man
> args at Makefile.PL line 162.
> Perl version is 5.10 on this Mac.

Safe to ignore.

> bicInventor-0.3.1: I can't get passed the message:
> configure: error: cannot find required library GL
> brain-view-0.7.0: Even though I installed Coin, I still get:

Jason?

--
Andrew Janke
(a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)