[MINC-development] MINC and Subversion

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Wed May 9 08:25:00 EDT 2007

On 5/9/07, Jon Harlap <jharlap at bic.mni.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> not to mention that file based doesn't work so well when you have
> multiple developers working on a respository, as jason and i saw when
> setting up the brain-view subversion repository...  you have to set up
> silly hacks in order to allow all the developers to write to the
> repository directory and not create inaccessible files for the other
> developers...

Aye, the more I read about file base SVN, the more I am tempted
towards the dark side of webDAV.

We could of course still stick with a file based version and for
usernames just not use NIS on feeble. But this would seem
counterproductive.

> on the plus side, you can use any form of apache auth module you like,
> and you can even combine several - so if you used PAM with ldap on the
> systems, you could use the same LDAP for subversion over http as well...
>   and for added security you can use ssl (https) - so if you wanted to
> allow collaborators who don't have bic accounts to access the subversion
> repos, you could actually create client certs for those users and accept
> equally the LDAP and SSL client cert credentials, so both internal and
> external users can access the repos.  isn't apache fun? ;)

Now you're just trying to show off.   Far far too many acronyms here... ;)

Although I question the need for client certifcates, why is this
really needed?  Should not (at least) the core MINC repo be open for
anonymous read access and have a few pumpkings who are allowed to
comit?  Out of interest, what do you happen to use in tronno? SVN as
per the above setup? Or is there no real central thingo?

All this is sounding increasingly annoying/amusing to the point that I
am about ready to just migrate to sourceforge or some other SVN
providor.  You can dump the whole tree periodically for backup so what
would be the problem?

Any violent objections to using a third (free) party that allows
access to dump the entire thing so that you could transfer it later?
As I see it we have two choices. (or perhaps 3)

1. keep on burying our heads and leave it in CVS

2. install SVN and lots of acronyms on feeble.

3. Use a third party.

Myself I am Oh so tempted by #3.  Perhaps a review of the options for
#3 are in order.