[MINC-development] label volumes

Jason Lerch jason at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Tue Jul 31 10:00:41 EDT 2007

Andrew Janke wrote:
>>> however this would require someone to write something using the minc2
>>> API! :) The only thing that I know of so far that uses this feature is
>>> leila's MINC2 ITK binding.
>>>

>> Don't forget RMINC!
>>

>  seems that I really am forgetful tonight... :)  If you do get to
> this. Please consider adding this to the MINC wikibooks page here:
>
>    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MINC
>
> This is where I have been putting any new documentation that I write.

Sure.
>> But that still begs the question: has MINC2 been accepted enough yet
>> that the MINC tools can slowly begin to branch off from backwards
>> compatibility with MINC1? Or would that be premature?
>>

> I think this comes down to the fact that at this stage there is no new
> tool needed by anybody. :)  And if there is, I suspect that they would
> use something like minc_simple.h to do it.  (well at least I hope they
> would!)

I'm not talking about new tools - and I think this entire thread sort of
disproves your assertion. Many MINC tools would benefit from treating
label volumes differently than regular volumes. mincmath and minccalc
could treat complex numbers (for which there is also support in MINC2)
correctly. And so on. Nothing essential, as these issues can be
circumnavigated, yet doing so often results in unnecessary and ugly hacks.

Jason