[Loris-dev] Additional users, loris admin

Christine Rogers rogers at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Mon Sep 14 14:30:28 EDT 2020

Hi Ioannis,

For multiple admins modifying the database back-end, we recommend making
database "patch" files - typically several MySQL commands compiled in a
single file - which can be reviewed and executed by a senior admin.
These database patches can be committed in a github repo so that your
project keeps a central record of them. We find this helps with
transparency and trouble-shooting, in addition to giving additional
oversight and allowing you to replicate a database configuration easily.
Best practices also include creating and committing an additional "undo"
patch alongside every database patch.

If it's truly necessary to give both admins access to the same MySQL
back-end, the setup you suggested is fine.
As with any MySQL database, there's no real "undo" feature, and there
shouldn't be any problem with 2 users logged in at the time, though
coordinating to avoid modifying the same records/tables at the same time is
probably a good idea.
Best,
Christine

christine.rogers at mcgill.ca
McGill Centre for Integrative Neuroscience | MCIN.ca
Montreal Neurological Institute
McGill University | Montreal | Canada