[MINC-users] classify: bg and csf

Alex Zijdenbos zijdenbos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 16:52:01 EDT 2016

Hi Pedro,

It looks like the background tags are not used at all. I think the
immediate solution for you would be to add -mask_classified to the
classify_clean invocation; that will force '0' everywhere outside the mask.

Although I don't recall at the moment, this was probably a design decision
somewhere along the way; if you train a classifier on background, you are
actually likely to introduce 'holes' in the classified image. The current
approach, which is to only assign '0' to voxels outside the mask,
essentially forces all voxels inside the mask to end up in one of the 3
tissue classes.

Clearly classify_clean could use some updating and clarifications. Also, on
your image, the tag cleaning step (if you add -clean_tags) actually
crashes, which it also should not do.

-- A