[MINC-users] Freesurfer

Mishkin Derakhshan mishkind at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 22:14:35 EDT 2016

I'm afraid I don't have the specific answers to your mri_vol2surf
questions but maybe this will help.

When I did my analyses, I took the freesurfer surfaces and transformed
them into my native mnc space (i.e., the space where your input
T1.mnc.gz is in which should be the same as your labels.mnc).

The key transformation, (really just a translation) that I needed was:
    ${cras} = `mri_info --cras T1.mnc`;
    chomp(${cras});
    &cmd("param2xfm -translation ${cras} fs-to-minc.xfm");

And then I would apply that trasnformation to the freesurfer object to
get that object into my native mnc space.

Following that logic, all you might need to do is:
    ${cras} = `mri_info --cras T1.mnc`;
    chomp(${cras});
    &cmd("param2xfm -translation ${cras} fs-to-minc.xfm");
    &cmd("xfminvert fs-to-minc.xfm minc-to-fs.xfm");

And then minc-to-fs.xfm would be the transformation to take you from
your native minc space into your native freesurfer space (i.e., the
same space as your T1.mgz file).
If the freesurfer tools don't accept a .xfm file, it shouldn't be hard
to create a .dat file using the data in the .xfm.

hth,
mishkin