[MINC-users] Total Intercranial Volume (TIV) in the minc toolchain?

Simon Eskildsen eskild at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 03:11:29 EDT 2015

Hi Gabriel,

It depends on how you define TIV.

If you aim for separating at the inner skull boundary, this is extremely
difficult using "normal" MPRAGE. That is why MEG/EEG/TMS folks use multiple
sequences (T1, T2, FLASH) to generate their boundary element models used
for solving the inverse problem. See for example
http://simnibs.de/version2/mri_sequences

However, if you "just" want brain + CSF, that is possible using normal
MPRAGE only. One way would be to generate a BEaST library with proper TIV
masks. You may also achieve usable masks using surface based tools such as
FSL BET or Freesurfer (did I just say that?!).

I think many would be interested in a library of accurate TIV masks :-)

Simon