[MINC-users] mincreshape -dimsize

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 18:59:53 EDT 2015

On 22 September 2015 at 01:41, Robert D. Vincent
<robert.d.vincent at mcgill.ca> wrote:
> Historically, I believe mincreshape really was only meant to resize the two
> fastest-varying dimensions (xspace and yspace in this case), at least
> according to the man page.

Correct, the original reason was due to slice scaling IIRC. If Peter
is still lurking he'll know the answer.

> However, I'm not sure whether there was some
> attempt over the years to make it more flexible, but evidently it is
> failing pretty clumsily. It certainly shouldn't issue the errors you are
> seeing. I'll look into it.

There was talk of it but it never happened. As it turns out I even
confused myself and told Soren the wrong thing the correct workaround
is this (to treat in this case zspace as an image dimension):

   -dimsize zspace=-1

It means most of my analysis starts with an incantation such as this
to make everything +ve steps, MINC2 and the same dimension order:

   mincreshape -2 \
      +direction \
      -dimorder zspace,yspace,xspace \
      -dimsize xspace=-1 \
      -dimsize yspace=-1 \
      -dimsize zspace=-1 \
      in.mnc out.mnc

As you rightly point out, this is not all that amenable to new users!