[MINC-users] Contradictory MINC coordinate conversion documentation

Tarek Sherif tarek.sherif at mcgill.ca
Fri Jun 13 12:02:05 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out how handle conversions between
voxel and world coordinatesin MINC files, and I've come
across two pieces of documentation that seem to contradict
each other:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MINC/Reference/MINC2.0_File_Format_Reference#MINC_2.0_coordinate_system
http://www.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/software/minc/minc2_format/node4.html

The latter is more recent, but the matrix notation is incorrect.
I assume the two vectors are meant to be transposed. The
latter is older, but doesn't have the same notation issues. The
most important point, though, is that they give different
results for the transformation. For example, in calculating the
world x coordinate, the former resource gives:

      wx = cxx * stepx * vx + cxy * stepx * vy + cxz * stepx * vz + ox

while the latter gives:

wx = cxx * stepx * vx + cyx * stepy * vy + czx * stepz * vz + ox

Does anyone know which is the correction transformation? Also,
once we figure out which doc is incorrect, does anyone know
whom I should contact to get it removed/updated?

Thank you,

Tarek