[MINC-users] MINC tools for diffusion weighted images

Jon Pipitone jon at pipitone.ca
Thu Sep 26 02:19:27 EDT 2013

Hi all,

What sorts of tools are there for working with diffusion weighted images
in MINC?

Specifically, my wish list includes tools enabling me to:
 1. convert the DWI from our raw dicoms to minc format preserving
    diffusion parameters
 2. merge multiple DWI acquisitions for single subject
 3. perform registration of the DWI image to a structural scan (updating
    directions)
 4. estimate a diffusion tensor
 5. export the DWI (and DTI) volume to other well-known formats (nifti
    or NRRD mostly) for further processing.

>From my searching so far it looks like there is a toolkit[1] for MINC
that should do most of the above, but I'm not sure if it is a) still
maintained, or b) available to the public (seems one must have a BIC
username to check out the source?).  There is also the mincdti
program[2] but I believe that only estimates a tensor.

What are my other options? With the minc integration into ITK are there
perhaps ITK-based toolkits you could recommend?

Thanks!
Jon.

[1] http://www.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/~ilana/diffusion/diffusion_tools.html
[2] Mentioned here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MINC/Reference/MINC2.0_Users_Guide