[MINC-users] mincaverage -avgdim result header

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 23:14:02 EDT 2012

> I foolishly exposed low-level stuff to the command-line
> through mincreshape as well. Back when I didn't think so much about
> encapsulation and abstraction.

Don't forget mincview with ncdump! :)  Although Bert fixed this up
with mincdump and mincgen so all good now. And then I rewrote all of
mincview with sh, and then...  but I digress.

> Not at all. It is in fact the right thing to do. Most minc programs are
> abstractions on top of low-level minc and netcdf. Mincinfo isn't really.
> But I would still suggest that it's worth learning something about the
> basic file format if you are going to do anything fancy that tries to grok
> the file format. It's sort of like playing with DICOM using dcmtk without
> understanding anything about groups, elements, VRs, etc. These are the
> basic concepts of the format.

Agree whole-heartedly. I'm with Peter on this one, as it is right now
I see no reason to change anything. One of the beauties of MINC is how
flexible it can be. I have used it to store multi-channel EEG data
with a nice history of processing and am currently using it to store
multi-focal Histology data with included absorption data. I see no
reason as to why we should dumb down this flexibility to the point
that MINC can only handle 3D/4D images. Granted this is its main use
but it's not the only use.

I know I'm being elitist, but if all you want is a quick and dirty
format that can handle images there are others around. But by all
means I'm more than happy to review and possibly include any push to
the develop branch of MINC on github!