[MINC-users] Best plane (axial or coronal) for CIVET processing?

Alex Zijdenbos zijdenbos at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 08:48:15 EDT 2012

I can take a stab at this - Andrew can correct me if I am wrong somewhere.

>From the 'register' screenshot I would say that the image on the left
(I assume that is the 'axial') is converted correctly (barring a
left-right inversion that wouldn't be visible); and the second one is
incorrectly converted.

I suspect that nii2mnc (or ana2mnc) has no way of knowing that you
flipped the axes around, so it converts the image the same way for
both images. You can probably fix this by providing ni2mnc with one of
the spatial dimension ordering options, such as -coronal, to tell it
what the ordering of the dimensions in your image is.

Be aware though of left-right inversions; I have seen many cases where
the left and right sides are inverted in converting from "unaware"
image formats to an "aware" format such as MINC. If you can you should
always double check the sidedness; most brains are asymmetric enough
to allow you to verify the sides. All MINC tools display data in
neurological convention (left=left).

-- A