[MINC-users] mincblur with FWHM =?utf-8?Q?<=3D_?=voxel dims

Alex Zijdenbos zijdenbos at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 11:15:13 EDT 2012

Hrm those pesky licensing issues :-}

Not that I necessarily want to continue to harp on mincblur (where is Louis anyways?), but I just stumbled across something else with mincblur that has me a bit stumped. I had to dig this one fairly deep out of a registration script which seemed to be behaving oddly.

Take a look at this image: ​test_blur.png (http://cl.ly/2E362x310I231C1T1W3u)

These are two virtually identical images with the standard 1mm stx sampling (top two rows); the third row is the difference between them (simple subtraction); and the 4th and 5th rows are the result of mincblurring each of them with an 8mm FWHM kernel. For some reason, the blurred result of (only) one of the two produces a strong edge artifact.

Adding the -no_apodize option removed the edge effect; but that doesn't seem to explain why two almost-identical images would result in such different blurring behaviour.

-- A