[MINC-users] xv error (mincview) on Ubuntu / make_model error

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 02:10:59 EST 2011

> I was simply trying to use mincview because it was stated in a (probably
> outdated) tutorial I had found.
> I tried using mincpik, but got a strange string of odd symbols and
> alphabets.
> When I ran display, the ImageMagick window opened and I was able to select a
> file, but got an error saying:
>
>> display: no decode delegate for this image format `15331.mnc' @
>> error/constitute.c/ReadImage/532.

mincpik is made to create single images rather than display a series
of images from a single dataset. mincpik expects something like this:

   $ mincpik -slice 20 -axial infile.mnc slice-20.jpg

To create a JPG image of slice 20 in the axial direction.

I have also decided that it's also time to update mincview, so have
had a quick go at converting it to a bash shell script and also
converted it from xv to display which is much more available on most
linux distributions. (debian/ubuntu is: $ sudo apt-get install
imagemagick).  You can give it a try here:

   http://httpd.cai.uq.edu.au/~rotor/minc-beta/mincview

In display you use the space bar to advance to the next image. For the
MINC CVS types this change is now also committed to CVS as this
removes both the xv and tcsh dependency in MINC.

>> make_model
> Are there minc commands to create these mask and headmask files?

It really depends on the application, sometimes this can be done with
simple thresholding and sometimes you have to manually trace this or
use a tool like FSL's BET.

--
Andrew Janke
(a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)