[MINC-users] Re : MINC2 on Mac OS 10.5

Pierre Bellec pbellec at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Tue Nov 16 14:27:32 EST 2010

Dear MINC users,

I have been trying this morning to install the minc tools & associated
software on a MAC OS 10.5 using the package found in :
http://packages.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/osx-10.5/
Minc2 won't install because it cannot find the (shared) HDF5 libraries. It
turns out that every single shared version of these libraries I found (fink
etc) comes in 32 bit, and the MINC packages are 64 bits. I finally pulled
out a 64 bit HDF5 library from Matlab (one dirty hack, just to test) but
then mincinfo complained about szip. Which again I haven't been able to find
in 64 bit shared version. So first question is, how is it possible to
install a version of HDF5 which work with these packages ? I found an old
thread from two years ago describing pretty much all the steps I went
through :
http://www2.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/pipermail/minc-users/2008-July/002127.html
The tar ball of Alex won't work for me because raw2minc (or minc2raw) is
broken, according to the original post of Alex. Beyond that, what is the
rationale for using dynamic libraries in the first place ? Every time I try
to install the minc tools I run into issues with HDF5/NETCDF. This topic
came back many times and I believe that now Andrew has decided to go for
static builds, but I just wanted to mention again that I think it is totally
worth it.

In any case, this version of minc2 is rather old (2.0.15).   It would be
great to have the 2.1 release. In my new institution, there are a lot of MAC
and I am eager to share tools, but so far I got stuck at the installation
phase. Please let me know if that is something that can be expected to come
out in the near future. Otherwise, Mathieu Desrosiers at CRIUGM offered to
create a static build of the minc bundle that we will then share as a tar
ball.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help,

Pierre Bellec, PhD
Chercheur adjoint
Centre de recherche de l'institut de Gériatrie de Montréal
Département d'informatique et de recherche opérationnelle
Université de Montréal
http://simexp-lab.org/brainwiki/doku.php?id=pierrebellec
(001)(514) 340 3540 #336730