[MINC-users] ray_trace colour maps and rendering labels

EJ Nikelski nikelski at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Fri Mar 26 15:47:57 EDT 2010

Hello minc-users,

   Ok, for posterity and for all future Googlers who find their way to
this post, here is what I've figured out about how to create one's own
*discrete* ray_trace-friendly color map -- useful for rendering
labels.  Pretty simple, when you know how ;)

(1) file type is ".ccd", so use this as an extension

(2) the first column must contain the label number, which *must* be
monotonic. That is, keep your labels in ascending order.

(3) subsequent columns are used to define the corresponding color.
This can be done in the usual way: e.g., [ r g b ], [ r g b a ], or [
blue ].  All fields are space-delimited.

(4) each label in the volume being rendered *should* have a
corresponding line in the .ccd file, else ray_trace might make
something up.

(5) unused label values do *not* need a line defined in the .ccd file.
So, if you have a .ccd range of 128, but only need 10 label values,
you need only define the 10 labels that you need.

(6) the ray_trace <min> and <max> values specified on the "-usercc"
argument, *must* have corresponding labels in the .ccd file, else
labels get unexpectedly assigned. So, if in ray_trace you say ...
>>-usercc    user_map.ccd  0 127  volume.mnc  -1 1.0

   ... then your .ccd file better have label entries for "0" and "127".

   That's all that I can think of for now.  If anyone has any other
suggestions, pls feel free to contribute.  Now get out there and spend
your weekend creating label-friendly color maps ... I will <sigh>.

Cheers,

-Jim