[MINC-users] dcm2mnc produces xspace:spacing = "irregular"

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 11:12:08 EDT 2008

>  > Unfortunately DICOM does not always unambiguously describe the
>  > position of the slices in an image volume (some scanners use
>  > origin/angle, some use absolute position of centre of slices, some use
>  > offsets, etc).
>
>  What modalities are you talking about?  I grant you that NM does weird
>  things (possibly US, too).  However for MR, CT, and PET, my reading of
>  DICOM suggests they all use the same (0020,0032) Image Position
>  (Patient) and (0020,0037) Image Orientation (Patient) attributes to
>  specify the location and orientation of the slices.
>
>  What ambiguity are you referring to?

That is correct they are _supposed_ to put things in the right
places... To put the first spanner in the works, consider the special
case of "mosaic" images.  I figure they came about to get around some
of the issues of bazillions of files in a directory for functional
data.

Then we will shift on to how some scanners define a slice gap as being
part of a slice thickness and some dont.  Ah, where would we be
without diversity? :)

--
Andrew Janke (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
Canberra->Australia +61 (402) 700 883