[MINC-users] For the OSX 10.5 crash test dummies.

Alexandre CARMEL-VEILLEUX acveilleux at mrs.mni.mcgill.ca
Fri Apr 11 12:20:31 EDT 2008

Hello,

	Compiling the packages isn't overly hard for most of them.
Libraries needed:

netcdf
hdf5 (1.6.x)
libjpeg-6b
libpng
libtiff
netpbm (the above three are for netpbm)

	CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS need to have "-arch x86_64" in them, I used
"-arch x86_64 -m64 -O2". Some of the older libraries can be very annoying
and ignore some/all of those if merely provided to ./configure.

	Some of the libtool generated on the mac are broken. In the case
of hdf5 for example, I ran configure with the same options on 1.8.0 and
then copied the resulting libtool to the 1.6.7 directory. They've evidently
fixed the problem in the newer version. For some of the older libs I used
a combination of hacking the libtool to have CC="cc -arch x86_64 -m64" and
manual compile command-lines. The main errors you'll see involve files
being of the "wrong architecture type" as libtool will ignore your parameters
and let gcc default to i386. There might be better "Apple-blessed" methods
of doing this however (like somehow making gcc default to x86_64 globally).

	Those wanting to save time can have a copy of my /usr/local/lib...

	Oh, and postf is probably broken (unless Andrew worked some magic
while compiling it) as on my system it suffers from a 32/64 bit issue.

Alex