[MINC-users] Linker errors on OS X Tiger when compiling ITK MINC2ImageIO

Thomas Mansi thomas_mansi at yahoo.fr
Sun Apr 6 16:08:31 EDT 2008

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for your tip! I was not aware about the CMake config for
MINC, sorry. I always compiled it with the configure/make/make
install ancestral method and never checker for that new method.

So, I recompiled MINC2 from scratch, using CMake, with -fno-common
option, and it worked, thanks! The first problem is solved.

However, when I tried to compile ITK against it I obtained the same
error

[ 95%] Building CXX object Code/Review/CMakeFiles/ITKIOMINC2.dir/
itkMINC2ImageIO.o[ 95%] Building CXX object Code/Review/CMakeFiles/
ITKIOMINC2.dir/itkMINC2ImageIOFactory.oLinking CXX shared
library ../../bin/libITKIOMINC2.dylibld: common symbols not allowed
with MH_DYLIB output format with the -multi_module option/Users/
tmansi/local/imaging/minc/install/lib/libminc2.a(hdf_convenience.o)
definition of common __m2_list (size 16)/Users/tmansi/local/imaging/
minc/install/lib/libminc2.a(minc_globdef.o) definition of common
_minc_call_depth (size 16)/Users/tmansi/local/imaging/minc/install/
lib/libminc2.a(minc_globdef.o) definition of common _minc_trash_var
(size 16)/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failedmake[2]:
*** [bin/libITKIOMINC2.3.3.0.dylib] Error 1make[1]: *** [Code/Review/
CMakeFiles/ITKIOMINC2.dir/all] Error 2make: *** [all] Error 2

I tried with/without -fno-common option for MINC2 and ITK, without
success... I enabled the ITK_USE_REVIEW and properly set the minc
path, but nothing, always the same error.

By the way, I don't really understand the link with the problem
raised by Jim, I am sorry. Should I had the #if ... #endif code
somewhere to fix the problem?

Thank you so much for your help,

Best regards,
Thomas