[MINC-users] conversion to analyze problem

Alex Zijdenbos alex at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Sat Sep 8 10:34:04 EDT 2007

Hi Andrew,

Although I am sympathetic to systemic problems and possible
ambiguities of the MINC <-> ANALYZE format conversions, I am as yet
not convinced that we are not looking at a bug; nor that the behaviour
of mnc2nii/nii2mnc can/should not be improved to "work" for users in
95% of the cases instead of 5% (if that). Reasons being:

1. I am yet to encounter the first case where flipping was not
necessary (and I have done my fair share - probably more - of these
types of conversions)

2. If I take a MINC volume (without funky directions cosines and etc),
run mnc2nii (-analyze) followed by nii2mnc, the x-axis comes out
flipped.

3. In the case that Lindsay reports, at least 3 different analyze
viewers agree that the x-axis is flipped (which I understand not to be
an issue of viewer/radiological/neurological convention, as evidenced
by a physical marker in the image).

So notwithstanding MINC's conceptual superiority w/respect to
coordinate space handling and etc, it still makes no sense to me that
this conversion appears to not *ever* work correctly, nor that the
conversion on 'simple' files is not bijective when using the
conversion tools provided by MINC itself. Something just smells wrong
here...

Where does one actually find the formal specifications of
ANALYZE/NIFTi? For ANALYZE I keep stumbling on the same pdf describing
the ANALYZE 7.5 file format, but that is less than informative.

-- A