[MINC-users] conversion to analyze problem

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 22:48:53 EDT 2007

Hi Lindsay, (and others!)

As Alex has alluded to, the problems with "analyze" to MINC conversion
are systemic and not really bugs.

In short there is no way to canonically convert between the two
formats and ensure that the orientation will always be correct as it
depends on the package that you will be using with your
"analyze/Nifti" images. What generally happens is that users have to
figure out a path that works for them and stick to it.

This in itself is endemic in any Nifti/Analyze conversion but what I
can assure you of are the following...

1) mnc2nii follows the official specifications of Analyze and Nifti.

2) The issue of Radiological vs Neurological orientation _should_ have
nothing to do with a file format and only concern a file viewer. In
MINC this is the case. There is also a defined co-ordinate system for
ANALYZE and Nifti-1 but these are not always followed to the letter.

3) Further to #2 you need to very careful of what you package is doing
to your files as some like SPM define a file like "spm_defaults.m"
that defines as to whether your data is "neurological" or
"radiological" that will flip your data inside the package itself.

Sorry I cant offer a simple answer to your problems but the above is
one of the primary motivating factors that caused Peter (Neelin) to
write MINC nigh on 12 years ago! :)

That all said there is a new MINC due out very soon that will have an
updated version of Nifti conversion that may alleviate your concerns
as we  now use the same version of the Nifti Libraries that is used by
FSL and thus supports a few extra things like compression of Nifti
files and the likes.

--
Andrew Janke   (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883