[MINC-users] minc volume size limit

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 10:51:40 EST 2007

That it is.  Get to http://packages.bic.mni.mcill.ca/ as fast as you can... ;)

> I have written applications with the minc libraries of version 1.4, mainly the
> volume_io lib. Can you tell me if I can just use the minc2 libs or do I have
> to be aware of changes, because I'm running out of time for big
> reimplementations.

We have striven to make MINC2 100% compatible with MINC1 so your
volume_io programs will work just fine against minc2.   (just change
to -lminc2 -lvolume_io2 -lnetcdf -lhdf5 -lm)

Jason has written some very nice MINC2 API tutorials here:

   http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/MINC/Tutorials

The programming section.

> Best regards
> Oliver
>

> On Thursday 22 November 2007 16:19, Andrew Janke wrote:
> > On Nov 23, 2007 2:07 AM, Oliver Gress
> >
> > <oliver.gress at medizin.uni-leipzig.de> wrote:
> > > I've got a question about the size limit of a minc volume. As I work with
> > > quite dense data, I sometimes ran into errors like the following, that
> > > seems to arise when I want to create a too large volume:
> > >
> > > Processing:.mincconcat: ncx.c:1716: ncx_put_size_t: Assertion `*ulp <=
> > > 4294967295U' failed.
> > > Aborted
> >
> > Which version of mincconcat are you running?  And if it is MINC 2 is
> > the file netcdf or HDF?
> >
> > One of the primary reasons for the shift to MINC2 (and thus HDF5) was
> > to get around the size limitations of netcdf. If you are using large
> > volumes be sure to either use '-2' when you originally create all your
> > data in MINC (and then it will flow on) or to be sure set this env
> > variable:
> >
> >    export MINC_FORCE_V2=1
> >
> > you can check on your file types using "file".
> >
> > ie:
> >
> > gordon:map$ file /tmp/foo/*.mnc
> > /tmp/foo/green.mnc:                   Hierarchical Data Format (version 5)
> > data /tmp/foo/out.mnc:                     NetCDF Data Format data
> > /tmp/foo/trans.mnc:                   NetCDF Data Format data
> >
> > You can convert a netcdf MINC file to HDF very easily using the following:
> >
> >    $ mincconvert -2 in.mnc out.mnc

Andrew Janke   (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883