[MINC-users] Display graphics on fedora 7

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 21:46:50 EDT 2007

Interesting,

I certainly have no trouble with beryl/compiz under Ubutu Feisty.
This is with a Nvidia GeForce 8600GT running Dual 1600x1200 DVI.

Although I do know there is a problem with some of the nvidia cards /
drivers in register if you set to many tag points.  Sylvain has
investigated this at length and it appears that it is a combination of
certain cards and certain hardware.

My guess in all this is that Dave when he wrote these all those years
ago used a few parts of GLUT that are not all that well supported.

Is your hardware ATI or NVIDIA?  and what does glxinfo return?

If ATI, I have had more success with the fglrx (proprietary) drivers.

I also have spend much more time debugging register/Display under
nvidia than ATI, so if others are considering a new machine I would
suggest NVIDIA.

On 6/22/07, Soren Christensen <sorench at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I have trouble with hardware rendering (I assume) in Display compiled on
> Fedora 7.
> The slice/cursor navigation seems slow as if software rendering is in
> effect, but glxinfo | grep direct:   direct rendering: Yes, and Display also
> does not give warnings except this one every time it is started:
> Try R300_SPAN_DISABLE_LOCKING env var if this hangs.
>
> Any suggestions as to what might cause this?
>
> Also, if Desktop effects are enabled Display seems to crash - but this is
> less of a problem.
>
> Regards
> Soren

Andrew Janke   (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883