[MINC-users] the distribution variancies problem is boring

Sheng Bao forrest.bao at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 03:08:12 EDT 2006

TO ZQ Zhang,
    As you known, there are many different distributions of Linux, Fedora
Core, Debian, SuSE, Ubuntu, etc. They use the same kernel, the Linux. But
they have different libraries which will be called by other programs. Only
the kernel is not enough to run a computer. Linux is wholly open. So
different software use different libraries. Different distributions have
different libraries. Thus, the software that I can install on one
distribution may not work on another distribution.

Here is a famous explanation to the dark side of open source strategy:
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/2d17d611efb58b22862567a9006ffe76/9d1bcf97a0aaedba8625685e00753206?OpenDocument&node=145000_US#3
It is sometimes boring with software installation problem due to the open of
Linux.
In our case, maybe we can run MINC on one distribution but due to other
reason, we can't run freesurfer on that distribution. And when we have
immigrated to another distribution, we found that MIPAV doesn't work.

I chose to use Fedora Core at the beginning was to avoid the lack of
libraries.  But now, I found many medical imaging software are developed on
the Debian platform. And respecting to the convenient package management
theme of Ubuntu, I think we may better test whether all software that we may
use can run on Ubuntu. Anyway, if they can work well on SuSE or Fedora Core
4, it is our best luck.

Now I think Ubuntu is appropriate to install MINC coz I don't wanna install
glut libs on Fedora Core 4 manually but via apt-get.

PS: I think MINC should make a list of recommended distribution.  At least
now, I have tested SuSE 10, Fedora Core 4 and Ubuntu 6.10

--
Sheng Bao, research assistant
Dept. of Medical Image, Nanjing Jingling Hospital

Home Page: http://forrest.bao.googlepages.com
MSN: bsh1984 at hotmail.com
Yahoo! ID: forrestbao at yahoo.com.cn
Gmail: forrest.bao at gmail.com