[MINC-users] using minc with ITK

Jason Lerch jason at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Wed Feb 22 08:20:47 EST 2006

On 22-Feb-06, at 8:05 AM, Audette, Michel wrote:

> While on the subject, can you, or anyone, explain to me the
> motivation behind MINC going from a netcdf-based to a hdf5-based
> implementation? I might as well include this issue in my presentation.

There are others on this listed who can due a better job of
addressing this question than I, but the main reasons are the following:

* block-structured storage
* multi-resolution images
* internal compression

In short, HDF5 has better support for extremely large files,
something MINC2 was designed to support.

Cheers,

Jason