[MINC-users] Windows-UNIX problems with Display

Robert VINCENT minc-users@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Tue May 3 11:42:04 2005

Hi Anna,

I'm pretty certain this has to do with the differing newline conventions
in text files in Windows and UNIX.  On Windows and MS-DOS, there is
typically an extra character placed at the end of each text file line.
The library is not written to properly discard this extra character when
it is encountered in a tag point file.  So neither program is happy with
the files produced by the other.

There are a couple of workarounds for this that I can implement.  It will
be relatively easy to fix Register or Display for UNIX variants, but
fixing the Windows version may take somewhat longer.

In the meantime, if I am correct, it should be fairly easy to convert the
files you import from Windows to UNIX using the "tr" command:

tr -d "\r" < file-win.tag > file-unix.tag

To go the other way, try this:

perl -ne '$_ =~ s/\n/\r\n/; print $_;' < file-unix.tag > file-win.tag

I know this isn't ideal but it should work.

	-bert