[MINC-users] Dicom to Minc converter for Phillips ?

Roger Luechinger minc-users@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Sat Mar 26 03:11:04 2005

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed contribution to this topic.

Kuan H. Kho wrote:
> If you're working with Philips scanners, you might want to reconstruct
> the scans and have them as raw files, ie *.PAR and *.REC files (instead
> of the tedious DICOM). This is an option of the scanner software. The
> *.PAR file serves as a header to the *.REC file (raw) which can easily
> be converted into minc, or any other file type. (for minc, use rawtominc
> etc etc), and the parameters (voxelsize, # of dynamics etc) should be
> checked! This works finereally works well!

It's true that using rawtominc will convert the rec-File (raw-Format from
Philips) easily to minc. However the major problem are the geometry infos
in the par-File contains the following infos for each slice:
.    Angulation midslice(ap,fh,rl)[degr]:   .17     -1.62   -24.5
.    Off Centre midslice(ap,fh,rl) [mm] :   4.94    16.44   .97
(here the info for the stack), whereas the minc-Files wants to have the
direction cosines for the 3 directions.
And this conversion is not trivial. However for most applications the
orientations are not of such an importance.
I started with a perlscript using rawtominc to make a cnoversion of the
rec-files to minc. However the orientation part is not yet correctly
implemented and since there was at our group no need for this part I stop
to implemented it.If there is some interest in such a conversion tool I
could implement it. In the meantime I had to perform the coordination
transformation in the other direction for an other project. (Philips
switch in the database on the scanner from the angulations along the ap,
fh, rl direction to the cosines like used in the minc-Files.) Therefore it
would even be the easiest just to take the infos directly from the
database and create directly the minc-File. However such an tool would
only be of benefit for sites with deeper knowledge of the scanner.

If there is real interest in a conversion tool rec2minc, please let me know.

Roger

--
                               ^   ^
                               o   o