[MINC-users] Thickness analysis

Jason Lerch minc-users@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Sun Jun 19 23:35:03 2005

On Jun 19, 2005, at 10:43 PM, Fornito, Alexander wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been reading your papers on thickness analysis (MacDonald, et al,
> 2000, NeuroImage, 12; Lerch and Evans, 2005, NeuroImage 24) and I was
> seeking some clarification on the nature of the surface that is
> generated. The MacDonald paper states that the final surfaces created
> contain 81, 920 triangles. The Lerch and Evans paper states that the
> number of 'nodes' generated is 40, 962, which is about half that
> quoted by MaDonald et al.
> My questions:
> By 'nodes' do you refer to vertices?
> Is 40, 962 the number of vertices per hemisphere, whereas 81, 920 the
> total number for both hemispheres?
> If so, my next question is, wouldn't the number of vertices be greater
> than the number of triangles?

Nope. Both papers are correct - remember that a single node/vertex
belongs to multiple polygons. So we do in fact normally use surfaces
consisting of 40,962 vertices and 81,920 polygons.

> Lastly, is the T link algorithm for calculating thickness available
> for download, and can it be applied to calculate thickness of surfaces
> using other methods (eg., freesurfer)?

Not really - the link algorithm is the one (of the six) that is the
most dependent on our method of extracting surfaces, and would thus not
work with freesurfer.

Cheers,

Jason