[MINC-users] Thickness analysis

Fornito, Alexander minc-users@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Sun Jun 19 22:43:04 2005

Hi,
I've been reading your papers on thickness analysis (MacDonald, et al, 2000, NeuroImage, 12; Lerch and Evans, 2005, NeuroImage 24) and I was seeking some clarification on the nature of the surface that is generated. The MacDonald paper states that the final surfaces created contain 81, 920 triangles. The Lerch and Evans paper states that the number of 'nodes' generated is 40, 962, which is about half that quoted by MaDonald et al.
My questions:
By 'nodes' do you refer to vertices?
Is 40, 962 the number of vertices per hemisphere, whereas 81, 920 the total number for both hemispheres?
If so, my next question is, wouldn't the number of vertices be greater than the number of triangles?

Lastly, is the T link algorithm for calculating thickness available for download, and can it be applied to calculate thickness of surfaces using other methods (eg., freesurfer)?

Thanks for your help,
Alex