[MINC-users] How to use rawtominc with multiple files

Ernest Lo elo at neurorx.com
Wed Dec 21 14:36:23 EST 2005

Some additional comments on N3:

There are arguments for using N3 (nu_correct) before and after
registration.

Reasons to use N3 (nu_correct) before registration:

1. As mentioned by Dr. Narayanan, nu_correction on images may improve
registration.  Having processed a steady stream of multi-modal scans on a
daily basis for almost a year now, I have seen a few instances where
severe image non-uniformity caused poor registration results using
mritoself (the alignment worked fine after nu_correction).  I imagine it
could cause similar effects in mritotal.  Both these algorithms use
intensity-based objective functions as convergence criteria. In any case,
nu_correction should not harm any subsequent registration processes.

2. I have heard that nu_correct works better on isotropic data.  So if one
is resampling anisotropic images to an isotropic space (meaning in this
case that the resolution or step size in the x,y,z directions are all the
same), then this may improve the result.

Reasons to use N3 after registration:

1. Since the nonlinear registration to standard space may both magnify and
reduce areas of the original image, it is possible that small
non-uniformities may be transformed into larger ones by mritotal.  Also,
assuming that N3 runs on the basis of a convergence criterion, this
criterion may no longer be satisfied after nonlinear registration.
Therefore running N3 after mritotal ensures that all the images satisfy
the same uniformity convergence criterion.

For optimal results, you could run nu_correct both before and after
registration.  In practice, I think the differences will be small
whichever option (before or after) you choose.

Vivek, you mentioned that the default behaviour of nu_estimate is to mask
in Talairach space - are you sure about this?  I detect no nonlinear
transformation processes when nu_correct is run.

Ernest Lo
NeuroRX Research
Montreal, Canada