[MINC-users] Anatomical labelling of MINC files

Jason Lerch jason@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Fri Nov 26 10:40:04 2004

--Apple-Mail-13-769783031

Hello Chris,

here's an attempt to answer some of your questions:

On Nov 26, 2004, at 5:37 AM, Christopher Bailey wrote:

> Hi again, again,
>
> Though the issue of automagically assigning anatomical labels to MR's
> is
> a hot potato, I'm curious to know how much such functionality will be
> included in the MINC tools in the future?

We do have automatic labelling, and have had it since the mid nineties
in the ANIMAL package.

Collins, D. L., C. J. Holmes, T. M. Peters and A. C. Evanc (1995).
"Automatic 3D model-based neuroanatomical segmentation." Human Brain
Mapping 3(3): 190-208.

As I understand it, the missing pieces will be available for download
soon (they just have to be packaged up).

> Following up on my PET-post, I would like to address the related issue
> of production of Pretty Pictures for publications. Now that FreeSurfer,
> Caret/SureFit and Brainvoyager are churning out inflated/flattened maps
> at an alarming rate, the Marching Cubes of Display seems a bit quaint.
> think the MINC community would embrace something that could produce,
> say, an Anatomic Segmentation using Proximities.................

I'm not quite sure what you mean - we certainly have the ability to
generate surfaces, we have the ability to inflate those surfaces, and
we have a ray-tracer available to generate pictures from all the above.
No flat-maps, though one can argue about their usefulness anyway. What
in particular did you find missing?

As for the state of dot - I hope somebody else answers that, as I don't
know much about PET analysis.

Cheers,

Jason

--Apple-Mail-13-769783031

Hello Chris,

here's an attempt to answer some of your questions:

Though the issue of automagically assigning anatomical labels to MR's
is

a hot potato, I'm curious to know how much such functionality will be

included in the MINC tools in the future?

</excerpt>

We do have automatic labelling, and have had it since the mid nineties
in the ANIMAL package.

Collins, D. L., C. J. Holmes, T. M. Peters and A. C. Evanc (1995).
"Automatic 3D model-based neuroanatomical segmentation."
<underline>Human Brain Mapping</underline> 3(3): 190-208.

As I understand it, the missing pieces will be available for download
soon (they just have to be packaged up).

</fontfamily><excerpt>

Following up on my PET-post, I would like to address the related issue

of production of Pretty Pictures for publications. Now that FreeSurfer,

Caret/SureFit and Brainvoyager are churning out inflated/flattened maps

at an alarming rate, the Marching Cubes of Display seems a bit quaint. I