[MINC-users] voxel_loop-like hard-disk access for arbitrary voxel positions

Michel Audette m.audette@aist.go.jp
Wed Nov 10 01:42:06 2004

Hi everyone,

I had the following question for Peter Neelin, and he suggested I put it to
this group.

Are you familiar with Level-set and Fast Marching Level-Set surface models?
Basically, it involves an evolving front, and I'm trying to figure out a way
to implement something like this with voxel_loop-like management (i.e.: use
as little RAM as possible). In other words, it does not process the whole
volume at once, but iterates an evolving surface based on a moving shell
surrounding the surface at the previous simulated time iteration. Wondering
if this is feasible under MINC, in a manner comparable to voxel_loop... In
other words, I need to be able to access specific voxels of a given volume
on disk....

Can anyone comment? I need to process MR volumes that have been resampled to
CT-density, actually greater than normal CT-density, in the sense that I
first resample CT data to be isotropic, typically .5mm resolution, and do
the same for MR. I need to do this with a 32-bit Linux machine, hence the
problem.

Michel

Michel Audette, Ph.D.,
Research Fellow, Surgical Simulation,