[MINC-users] [Fwd: OHBM Announcement 3/9/04]

Andrew Janke minc-users@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Thu Mar 11 19:20:04 2004

On Thu, 10 Mar 2004, Yasser Ad-Dab'bagh wrote:

> Should we be concerned?

"perhaps".

I have been in contact with a few of the DFWG members in the last few days with
respect to this.  What seems to have happened so far is this:

  * NIfTI-1 is the patch-up job for the various forms of analyze.
     - this is actually a big improvement over previous versions.

  * NIfTI-2 is to be the replacement for ANALYZE that will be all-singing
       and all-dancing.

However no decision or specs are available so far for NIfTI-2.  Apparently a
number of the members of the comittee are all for just using MINC 1.2/2.0.
however there are some who are opposed to even HDF5 or NetCDF.  I have asked for
feedback on the problems these people on the comittee have against MINC 2.0 in
order that we might be able to alleviate their concerns with MINC 2.0.

I haven't recieved anything yet though.  Apaprently the group will be meeting
again soon to discuss NIfTI-2 in more detail.

In the meantime if you want your voice to be heard, send an email to the group
voicing your opinion, the more people who indicate that they would like to see
MINC 2.0 replace NIfTI-2 the better. However remember that the NIfTI group is
only concerned with Data formats for fMRI data.  Whilst MINC can (and does)  do
fMRI data, there is still a bit of work needed on MATLAB interfaces to MINC.

   http://nifti.nimh.nih.gov/

--
Andrew Janke   ( rotor@cmr.uq.edu.au || www.cmr.uq.edu.au/~rotor )
Australia->University of Queensland->Centre for Magnetic Resonance