[MINC-users] new dicom to minc converter & more

Jonathan HARLAP minc-users@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Sun Feb 8 22:33:04 2004

A new dicom to minc converter is now available for testing.  Note that
the program name is dicom3_to_minc in order to avoid confusion with
the old dicom_to_minc (derived from Peter Neelin's mri_to_minc
converters).  The main difference between the two is that for
dicom3_to_minc I have replaced the underlying DICOM implementation
with the Perl-native DICOM module.  Note that for the byte swapping to
work (important if you convert big endian data on a little endian
machine or vice versa - very likely if you use anything other than
Windows or Linux) then you will need rawtominc from the minc 1.2
release or later.  Future versions will deviate further from
dicom_to_minc, particularly as regards options to handle "bad" DICOM
data and better input file ordering.

Also available is an updated get_dicom_info and the DICOM perl module
which both get_dicom_info and dicom3_to_minc use - along with some
additional information about all of these tools.

It's all at http://www.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/~jharlap/dicom/

I welcome comments and bug reports on any of these tools, and will
continue to announce new version releases to this mailing list as they
happen.  I will also try to answer any questions about these tools,
time permitting.

An additional note for BIC users: these tools have not (thus far,
anyway) been installed on the SGIs, but you can run them from
/home/bic/jharlap/public/bin if you add /home/bic/jharlap/public/lib
to your PERL5LIB environment variable, as follows:

csh or variants (including tcsh):
setenv PERL5LIB /home/bic/jharlap/public/lib:$PERL5LIB

sh or variants (including bash):
export PERL5LIB=/home/bic/jharlap/public/lib:$PERL5LIB

Now you should be able to run ~jharlap/public/bin/dicom3_to_minc and
~jharlap/public/bin/get_dicom_info

Jon Harlap