[MINC-users] talairach transform

Akemi Tomoda minc-users@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 15:54:47 -0500

------------=_1071780983-20567-381

Hello list,

Please bear with me for such rudimentary questions.

During these couple of months, I have been trying to deal with the
FreeSurfer study to measure the brain cortex morphometricaly. However, I am
having trouble with automatic cutting planes so need to know more about the
Talairach transform since I have 2 major reasons.

1) 60% of our samples failed at the end of stage one because FS could not
find a cutting plane. I'm still in the process of investigating this
As far as I know, the optimized sample (bert) data has the seed point being
chosen well, but I should manually select a seed point.

2) There is a significant difference between succeeded and unsucceeded
groups (P<0.05). The brain size of succeeded group (n=5); 1662.78+31.98 cm3,
on the other hand, the brain size of unsucceeded group (n=7); 1433.15+191.26
cm3. So I guess, the skull size, rather to say, the brain size should be
investigated more precisely, since I am dealing with pediatric samples.

Assuming the talairach is good, the manual gives a procedure for defining
the cutting planes.  I am used to running all the processing from the
command line using recon-all.  Is there a way to set the callosum point and
pontine point and still use the command line, or do I have to use the GUI in
if I want to do a manual cut?

Please let me know your idea at your earliest convenience.

In addition, I also would like to get hold of Dave MacDonalds surface
extraction stuff from the MNI. Please let me know how I can contact with
them.

With warmest personal regards,

Akemi Tomoda

Developmental Biopsychiatry Research Program
McLean Hospital of Harvard Medical School
atomoda@mclean.harvard.edu

Any information, including protected health information (PHI), transmitted
in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and or
exempt from disclosure under applicable Federal or State law. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in
reliance upon, protected health information (PHI) by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

------------=_1071780983-20567-381--