[MINC-users] Compiling Display

Steve ROBBINS minc-users@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 18:19:18 -0400

Hi Beau,

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 10:24:52AM -0600, Beau Sapach wrote:

> /usr/local/lib/libbicpl.a(labels.o): In function `set_all_volume_label_data':
> /vol2/minc/bicpl-1.4.0-1/Volumes/labels.c:140: undefined reference to `LL29'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> *** Error code 1

That's an odd error, since there is no "LL29" anywhere in the sources.
That name look suspiciously like a label that would appear in the
compiler-generated assembly code.  One would suspect, therefore, that it
is a problem with your tools.

> I'm using gcc and the GNU linker, and this is Display-1.3.6-1.  Does anyone
> know what's going wrong here?  Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Check the version of your linker using "ld --version"; the GCC install notes
for Solaris say

    All releases of GNU binutils prior to 2.11.2 have known bugs on this
    platform.  We recommend the use of GNU binutils 2.11.2 or the vendor
    tools (Sun as, Sun ld).
    http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html#*-*-solaris2*

Check that page for other potential pitfalls w.r.t GCC.  Other than that,
the only thing I could suggest is rebuild your GCC, assembler and binutils
tool chain.  Is it possible that they were built a while ago and the
system was subsequently upgraded to solaris 8?

Good luck,
-Steve