[MINC-users] x86 system optimization

Jason Lerch minc-users@bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:04:55 -0400

Hi John,

> I notice that the apps are VERY  CPU intensive and suspect they are not
> utilizing the VPU on the videocard very much?
>
> Also "ldd Display" does not show any links to the Mesa libraries. I
> thought these program were Mesa dependent?

They are indeed OpenGL dependent (ldd should show a link to libGL and
libGLU), whether Mesa or some other implementation. Unfortunately,
however, they were not written to take advantage of most of the OpenGL
acceleration you can gain, whether it be on an SGI or a Linux box. This is
especially the case for the geometry window, unfortunately. There are a
few other visualisation tools around here at the MNI, though none of them
are all that mature at this point.

> Is there any compilation of minc tool functions, usage and syntax apart
> from the man pages?

Try http://www.bic.mni.mcgill.ca/software

While it isn't nearly as comprehensive as it ought to be, it might provide
a few more pointers than just the man pages. Please let me know if you
find anything that is especially notable for its absence!

Cheers,

Jason