[MINC-development] experiments with EBTKS and N3

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 22:49:59 EDT 2012

> I know FFTW from my GNU Octave work, and I think I could hook it in. A
> caveat: FFTW is GPL, so the resulting package would have to be under
> GPL-compatible terms. The original McGill license is fine, but if
> people want to grab it and make non-free derivatives, they won't be
> able to do it if we link to FFTW.

Indeed, my approach to this a while ago was to write this:

   https://github.com/BIC-MNI/mincfft

Using much the same interface as Louis originally used in his NR code.
The idea was then to distribute the mincfft package as a separate
entity thus ameliorating licence difference issues.

> If this is acceptable, and I hope it is, I'd be happy to work on the
> FFTW integration.

More than happy for your help. So if possible the way I'd approach
would be to remove the dependency on fft's in EBTKS and instead fork a
system call to mincfft in either N3 or EBTKS. This was the original
motivation for mincstats (to replace volume_stats) but reproducing the
*exact* behaviour of volume_stats proved difficult so it never made it
to the drop in replacement stage in N3. :(

On the FFTW3 note, let me know if I/we've done anything "suboptimal" in mincfft!

Thanks