[MINC-development] MINC and ITK

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Sat May 14 09:51:57 EDT 2011

Hi Jason (and others),

The thought did cross my mind too so you aren't alone there. Still I
think while Sean might have said "maintained", I'll punt there is a
fair amount of "seen discussion about recently on minc-users". :)

We also probably shouldn't kid ourselves regarding "MINC" having a
grand poo-bar or any formal structure...  Certainly the original ITK
interface that Leila implemented and is now maintaining again was a
big step forward at the time when there was no ITK reader (beyond
mincextract/minctoraw....).

My understanding of the birth of EZMINC (by Vlad) was out of his own
frustrations of getting his own ITK code to work with MINC1 files.
Still I take your point about it being good if we had one 'sanctioned'
interface.  I take it you lot (by you lot, I mean the minc-ITK users
in jason-toronto-leila land) still use the the ITK MINC:IO libraries
on a daily basis?

I was of the impression that Vlad was volunteering to perhaps
integrate his code or ideas into the current ITK MINC reader so that
MINC 1 file input was possible?  or has this already been done? I
haven't followed the ITK + MINC thing much as of late, been too busy
working on other things. I was about to suggest to Vlad that he
contacts Leila first to get up to speed with what the current status
of the "real" ITK MINC IO stuff was, but you beat me to it.  (Darn
time-zones).

PS: It's freeeeezing here in Brisbane, 13deg C at 23:51, inhumane and
here I am doing MINC email in between putting coats of paint on the
hall cupboard.