[MINC-development] max_buffer_size_in_kb

Alex Zijdenbos zijdenbos at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 09:10:00 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If I hear nothing else, I will press ahead with MINC_MAX_MEMORY +
>>> MINC_MAX_FILE_BUFFER tonight.
>>
>> To be a bit more consistent, I'd suggest MINC_MAX_FILE_MEMORY (why
>> would one be called 'memory' and the other 'buffer'?)
>
> Well for no other reason than the -max_buffer_size_in_kb C/L argument.

True - so nevermind

>> But either way, I think the most important is that these actually be
>> documented at the user level. I for one was only aware of the first
>> two original ones, and have no idea what the other 3 do :-)
>
> Well someone has never read the MINC README... :)
>
>   https://github.com/andrewjanke/minc/blob/master/README

Guilty as charged :) I had actually googled for it but that only comes
back with things like AFNI_MINC_FLOATIZE.

> Still I don't think the ENV vars are something that a general MINC
> user would want to mess with without a bit of knowledge first.  But
> then I have been called elitist before.

By whom?! ;)

While on this topic though, should the issue of MINC_COMPRESS (and,
shudder, MINC_FORCE_V2) be re-discussed? I for one permanently have

MINC_COMPRESS=4
MINC_FORCE_V2=1

in my environment and am very happy with that through a wide range of
applications. These are also set by CIVET by default. So if the
argument is that a general MINC user should not have to know about
these environment vars, I think it would make sense if these settings
would be the default.

-- A