[MINC-development] MINC2 and required NetCDF version

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Jun 3 09:14:48 EDT 2009

On 6/3/09 8:27 PM, Andrew Janke said:

>>>/* Maximum number of icv's allowed */
>>>#define MI_MAX_NUM_ICV MAX_NC_OPEN
>>>
>>>Maybe this could just be changed to 32 (NetCDF's old value)?
>>
>> Actually, it's used elsewhere too... If I #define MAX_NC_OPEN 32 just
>> after the #include <netcdf.h> in minc.h then compilation succeeds.
>
>First why 4.x? :)

For the same reason I'm not using MINC 1.x. :)

>unidata still distribute 3.6.x and I think they
>will for a while yet. As it is the 4.x version is not in debian that I
>can see. :(
>
>Anyhow I would prefer something like this:
>
>/* hack to get around netcdf 3.x -> 4x. */
>#ifndef MAX_NC_OPEN
>#define MI_MAX_NUM_ICV 32
>#else
>#define MI_MAX_NUM_ICV MAX_NC_OPEN
>#endif.
>
>Can you test this please?  if it works fine I can commit this to CVS.

That would work great.  I had actually done that (though without the
else) in a previous test.

However, one could argue that since MAX_NC_OPEN is gone from NetCDF (I
searched the whole NetCDF 3.6.3 source tree and MAX_NC_OPEN appears only
where it's defined, in other words, it's deprecated in 3.x also.) that
it would be better to purge MINC of this constant.  Its current value of
32 will never change.

BTW, everything seems to be working fine built against 4.0.1.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com