[MINC-development] minc 2.0.14 issues

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 09:09:28 EST 2008

> At present there are just three patches in Debian's package of MINC.
>
> 01_mincedit-sensible-viewer.diff simply sets the default editor to
> "sensible-editor" rather than "emacs".  Since "sensible-editor" is a
> Debianism (basically a script that tries VISUAL, EDITOR, then some
> hard-coded fallbacks) I wasn't planning to push this upstream.  I
> might suggest, though, that mincedit use $VISUAL, falling back to
> $EDITOR, then something hardcoded, e.g. emacs.  Then I'd probably
> remove the Debian patch.

I have done this in a fashion as such:

      # if no editor is specified, find a suitable one
      if [ -n "$VISUAL" ]
      then
         editor=${VISUAL}
      else
         if [ -n "$EDITOR" ]
         then
            editor=${EDITOR}
         else
            editor="emacs"
         fi
      fi
      ;;

Does that work for you?  This is now in CVS in any case.

> 03_mincview.diff changes the viewer from "xv" to Imagemagick's
> "display".  This one should probably be applied to the MNI repository
> since "xv" is nearly impossible to find these days, whereas
> Imagemagick is ubiquitous.  I'm attaching the patch for comments.

mincview to my mind is "erky" as it is csh. :)  Beyond that, mincpik
was a re-implementation of most of the good bits of it. It is the last
remaining csh script in MINC itself so I do have plans for it...  My
likely course of action will be to just make it a sh wrapper around a
call to mincpik with a -slices option.  Although at this stage -slices
is not implemented yet! :)  If I do this it will also mean that
invert_raw_image can go away as convert from imagemagick supports the
-flip and -flop operators

> The easiest mod is to make it a "convenience library".  That means it
> is built as a library and used to link the tools, but the library is
> not installed.

Sounds like a plan, do you happen to know the Makefile.am incantations
to do this?  I could figure it out I am sure but if you already had a
plan for it.. ;)

> > byte_swap is a little more interesting though, there was at one stage
> > a byte_swap4 and a byte_swap8 I have no idea if these still exist as
> > these are a tad more difficult to implement with dd.
>
> The source tree does contain byte_swap4.c, but the tool is not
> compiled nor installed.  I don't see any byte_swap8.

erk! true, it is something that I wrote for myself!  In any case they
are not installed so no worry there.

If you are happy with the mincedit patch then I will go ahead and
release 2.0.15, there are a few itching for it.

--
Andrew Janke   (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)
Canberra->Australia    +61 (402) 700 883